Sunday, July 21, 2013

Twincessities

I love having twins. Some days I'm still in shock that we have twins. Twins were never on my radar. I've never had friends who were twins. I've never been close to any twins. No twins in the family.

Disclaimer: My stepsister has fraternal twin boys, but she lives in another state and I've only met the boys once and it's not blood-related so I never thought I might have twins too. Also, I knew a couple cute girls in Wyoming who were twins, but since I didn't know their twin they didn't seem so much like a twin to me. :)

We have to make a few adjustments because we have twins.

Yesterday, I had to separate their cribs because as Axie was falling asleep, Sylvie would reach through and bonk her head or grab her hair and continuously wake her up. This also happens in the mornings, when one baby wakes up, she goes straight to the other and reaches through the crib until baby #2 also wakes up to play. I often see them on the monitor standing playing with each other. Quite cute.

I try to give them separate areas to play in, but it doesn't always work. Axie was the thief for awhile, but in the last couple months Sylvie has taken over. Anything that Axie has in her hands, Sylvie yanks it out, Axie looks up at me and cries her sad sad tears. Axie has learned to twist her body to hide the toy from Sylvie, but S will still climb over her to get it... then the sad tears come again. Because they are so mobile, the separation doesn't always work because they are very aware of what toy the other one has and can easily crawl over to get it.

The iPhone. I only had a flip phone when Dylan was a baby, but he loved it like crazy and I let him play with it. These are my first babies with an iPhone. They go carazy over it. CA-RAZY! I can't talk on the phone by them, they will cry and cry for it. I can't let them hold the phone for even a minute (over carpeted area where they are sitting) just to look at some fun colors... no matter what it results in tears. I've only attempted it maybe once every couple weeks when I feel guilty they want it so bad and think... what harm can there be in this? It always ends in tears. They rip it out of each other's hands, scream if it's taken from them, and get so excited holding it they shake in pure excitement.

These tears are hard to believe because right now they are in their cribs chirping back and forth at each other. I love their little communication!! (They are supposed to be falling asleep, lol)

During dinner, when they are done, they start pointing their fingers at each other (tip to tip, like we do with them), or try to hold hands or grab the other. Sometimes they'll start chatting... this usually consists of ahh! from Sylvie, then ahh! from Axie, and so forth... Dylan often chimes in thinking it's hilarious.

Dylan loves to get both of them talking or shaking their heads or motorboating their lips.

Sometimes the girls go in opposite directions, to different rooms in the house. But, more often than not, they like to be near each other and end up following each other back to Dylan's room. Dylan's room is their haven. They just love it. They especially love his bed.

We provide serious entertainment at church (the Kirklin's sit behind us and crack up the whole time, they claim they have the best seat in the house). The girls are so squirmy. I can't handle all three kids on my own. So, we pass off a baby if Bryce has to pass sacrament or whatnot. Trying to handle both babies, who want to be up on the bench with me is tricky. They both think they can sit or crawl wherever... so I struggle to prevent both from falling. No accidents yet (on my watch, anyway).

I finally splurged and bought a nice comfy baby carrier. It's actually a toddler carrier since the girls are so big. This way, when I go places, I can strap one on my back and carry the other one while holding Dylan's hand. Most the time we load up the stroller, but sometimes, I just need to carry them and I always have to do an extra load from the car to get baby #2.

I can't wait until they are walking. It will make going places much easier when I don't have to watch everything they're crawling on... but, I may have to invest in leashes since they will most likely run in two different directions.

I spend most of my day sitting on a cushion (the boppy) on our hard floor playing with the babies. They just like to play by me or stand/sit on me. I sometimes feel bad I can't always hold them when they want to be held, which is also why I invested in the carrier. I can now carry one around when I'm taking care of tasks... most the time it's just one of them that's really needy. When it's both, I strap one on my back and carry the other and we bounce around together. You would think I'd be in better shape lugging 2 25lbs. babies.

I just love having twins. It is so much fun. I love that I'm past the "I can barely function" stage and I'm past the "Just surviving" stage and feel I'm in the "I can't go out much, but life at home is fun" stage. Once the girls start walking and say bye-bye to their morning naps, I imagine we'll get out a lot more and say hello to the "life is more interesting, we can go out" stage.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this glimpse into your life! I love your stages...I can definitely relate, even with fewer children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww! I wish I could see them and play with them!

    ReplyDelete