Friday, February 8, 2013

Twin Facts


Here are my twin facts for everyone... aka... answers to the most common questions I get.

They were born one minute apart by C-Section, the doctor said with the way they were laying there was no way for a natural delivery (He is the most pro vbac doc in Utah, so we trust him completely). Axie was Baby A. Sylvie was Baby B.
They took the girls at 37 weeks because they were sharing a placenta and the risks were higher to keep them in. They were born at 6 lbs. 10 oz. and 6 lbs. 15 oz... yes... that is very big for twins. You can imagine how big I was.
They are now 6 months old.
Names - Axie Colleen (Axie is Bryce's great grandmother x5 on his dad's side, Colleen is my and my mom's middle name). Sylvie Theresa (We like the name Sylvie - my mom just liked the name Aubrey, it works out, and Theresa is Bryce's mom's name).
YES - They are identical.
YES - We were very surprised.
NO - We were not on fertility drugs.
YES - We knew we were having twins before they were delivered. It was the 9 week ultrasound when we found out there were two! I had bi-weekly ultrasounds to make sure they were both growing fine.
NO - They do not run in either of our families. (identical means an egg randomly split after fertilization - not genetic)
YES - We can tell them apart. Sylvie has a longer, more narrow face, with a straighter back of the head. Axie has a rounder face with the back of her head sticking out more (easier for headbands to stay on). No forehead tattoos were needed.
YES - It will get easier. I don't like when other parents of twins say it doesn't get easier. It's already easier today than it was when they were 2 months old. I've been told by countless parents of twins that it doesn't get easier. In what way is that supposed to help me? Wrong. It will get easier.
NO - It is in no way easier to have two at once. Yes, people have said that to me. I love my twins and feel beyond blessed to have them, but seriously? Telling me it's easier to just have two at once?? Come on. It's definitely more awesome though. :)
NO - Dylan cannot tell them apart. He plays the guessing game multiple times a day. It's quite adorable.
YES - I dress them alike most of the time. I prefer the outfits to be different colors or patterns, but I like the similar look (like both in skirts or both in sweats).
YES - they are bottle-fed. I breastfed solely for 2 months, then it was impossible to keep up. I don't believe mother's should feel guilty for bottle-feeding babies if it's what is best for their family. Stepping off soapbox before I say too much.
YES - Our hands are full. So are our hearts.

1 comment: